Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Favorite Breakfast: Overnight Oats



I made this last night before I went to bed. It's the best if you are like me and always in a rush in the morning. You can make it the night before, leave it in your fridge overnight then just run out the door with it in the morning and eat it on your way! It tastes delicious, is full of fiber and has almost endless flavor possibilites. ar oats). You can use steel cut oats or regular oats. Since steel cut oats take much longer to cook than regular oats, you will have a chewier oatmeal if you use these. It's all preference!


Here is what you will need: (use all organic whenever possible)

  • Steel Cut Oats (I use gluten free, but you can use regular ones as well)
  • Milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • Fruit of your choice (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, sliced apples, blackberries, banana, goji, etc)
  • Chia seeds (optional, but I recommend! adds fiber and omega 3s)
  • Sweetener of your choice (dates, stevia, honey, maple syrup, etc. I omit this, tastes great without any sweetener!)
  • Any add ins you like! (cinnamon, peanut butter, almond butter, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, nuts, hemp seeds, flax seeds, etc)

  1. Measure out amount of oats you want (I use 1/3 cup)
  2. Pour in milk of choice (check package for how much. I generally add in a little extra than what it says to because between the chia seeds and the oats, a lot gets soaked up. I usually fill to just a little above where the oats sit in the cup)
  3. Throw in your add ins! (fruit, chia seeds, sweetener, nuts, etc)
  4. Put in the fridge and in the morning it will be good to go!

This particular one I made last night has: 
  • unsweetened vanilla almond milk mixed with unsweetened coconut milk
  • chia seeds
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
  • raspberries
  • goji berries (a new addition to my overnight oats!)
  • hemp seeds

Another favorite of mine to make is "Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats" with pumpkin, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, walnuts, vanilla & a touch of Maple Syrup. You can get creative with the flavors so you never get sick of it.  Hope you enjoy! 

While we are on the subject, what's your favorite breakfast?

Courtney



1 comment:

  1. I made the pumpkin pie version last night and had it for breakfast this morning, it is soooo good! Great suggestion:)

    ReplyDelete