Monday, October 29, 2012

RealFoodeas: Acai Breakfast Bowl!


This is one of my FAVORITE things to eat in the morning. It's like a smoothie parfait combo you eat with a spoon. It's absolutely delicious, full of powerful antioxidants to help your body fight off disease and its filling enough to get you going in the morning!






What You Need (use organic when you can!)
  • Sambazon Unsweetened Acai Smoothie Pack 
  • Granola or Steel Cut Oats (I like to use steel cut oats to avoid added sugars but if you use granola I recommend Kind Granola, and I will say granola adds a much better crunch to the bowl)
  • Fruit: this can be any fruit you like! Blueberries, raspberries, banana, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, etc. I like to do a different variation every day so I don’t get bored.
  • Optional toppings: Cacao Nibs (natures chocolate chips), goji berries, chia seeds, cinnamon, coconut shreds, honey, peanut butter.
1. If you are using steel cut oats, measure out your desired amount in a bowl with milk of choice (almond milk, etc) and put in the fridge the night before you want your bowl. That way in the morning the oats will be just soft enough to eat but still a little chewy. Side note: the reason I recommend steel cut oats is because they are tougher and will add a little crunch to your bowl, where as regular oatmeal will be soggy in the bowl. (see my recipe here for overnight oats)

2. Get out your smoothie pack and throw in the blender (I always use 1/2 a pack to make them last longer since they can be pretty expensive, but feel free to use a full one!) with whatever fruits you desire. I generally like to mix mine with frozen berries or frozen banana. Add in a very small amount of water (or coconut water or apple juice) to make sure it blends. It should be a smoothie like consistency when you’re done. The thicker the better.

3. Pour the Acai blend in the bottom of your bowl. Put granola or steel cut oats in next. Then top with your desired toppings! This morning I added peanut butter and chia seeds to my steel cut oats and topped with blueberries, banana, raspberries, goji berries and cacao nibs. 

4. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment