Sunday, October 14, 2012

RealFoodeas: My favorite snacks

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a real snacker. I pretty much always have some sort of snack with me in my purse or schoolbag because I never want to be stuck somewhere starving and forced to eat something I wouldn't normally eat just because I was hungry! These are my favorite snacks at the moment.

New Earth Chipotle Chia Crackers
I straight up have a love affair with these crackers. They can get pricey so I only buy them on occasion and ration them out when I do but they are so delicious!! A little spicy, a lot delicious and raw! They have a nice crunch to them and are great dipped into hummus or eaten on the side with a salad. Not to mention they are full of ingredients you can feel good about like chia seeds (omegas & fiber!) and buckwheat (fiber and protein) so you won't feel guilty munching hard on these. 

Navitas Naturals Golden Berries
Natures sour patch kids. Need I say more? I eat at least a handful of these a day sometimes mixed with some raw nuts. They taste like sour candy but have no added sugar, they're just dried berries! They have been recommended by holistic doctors to be eaten in place of a multivitamin because they are loaded with Vitamins A-C & B complex (You can read more about them here). They are a great way to trick your body into loading up on powerful antioxidants and Vitamins but your tongue will think they are candy. Win win! 


Navitas Naturals Goji Berries
These berries are loaded full of powerful antioxidants to help your body fight off disease. They are also full of Vitamin A, Iron and Vitamin C to boost your immune system! (You can read more about their health benefits here). I have to admit they may take a few tries to get used to, so don't give up after your first try, they taste like fruit snacks to me now! They are especially delicious when eaten with raw almonds. Also worth noting, they are a bit pricey up front but if you eat just a handful a day the bag will last you several weeks. 

Mary's Gone Crackers: Sticks & Twigs Chipotle Tomato
These little sticks have a nice kick to them thanks to the chipotle! They are loaded with fiber and omega 3's thanks to the chia seeds so they are sure to keep you full in between meals. I like these a lot because they are GMO free and have minimal ingredients (no additives or preservatives). They are extra delicious dipped in hummus.



Organic Apples
I make it a point to eat at least one Organic Apple a day. We all know the saying....an apple a day keeps the doctor away....it's true! They are full of Vitamin C (great for immune boosting) and are said to help protect the body from cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease. A really good pink lady or fuji apple can satisfy even the biggest sweet tooth and they are full of fiber so they are great for keeping you full in between meals. 

Raw Almonds
I love these New Earth almonds because they are raw and activated (meaning they are soaked for 12 hours to deactivate the enzyme inhibitors that nuts contain as a defense mechanism, which are hard for us to digest) then topped with Himalayan pink salt! (salt full of the 84 natural minerals and elements found in the human body- great for controlling water levels in the body, promotes stable pH balance and helps with blood sugar levels, just to name a few benefits of it!) This particular brand can get pricey (and may only be in Austin??) but I'm sure you can find raw, activated almonds in the bulk section of your local natural food store. 

Organic Dark Chocolate
I have a bit of an addiction to dark chocolate. I have a square of dark chocolate (71% or higher) almost everyday. Lucky for my dark chocolate loving self, chocolate actually has health benefits! It is full of some of the highest antioxidants known to man and also healthful fats. The higher the cacao content the better so go for 71% or higher for optimal health benefits. (You can read more about those benefits here)


Kind Bars
I am generally a huge hater of food bars. Most are full of crap and loaded with sugar, but sometimes when you are in a hurry a food bar can be a really convenient way to tide you over! I like Kind bars because they are GMO-free, gluten free and made with minimal ingredients, all of which you can feel good about. They also taste absolutely delicious! Beware because some are loaded with sugar, so look for ones with lower sugar content. My favorite flavors are: Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, Nut Delight and Almond & Coconut. 

Hail Merry Chocolate Macaroons
More of a dessert than a snack, but I have been known to snack on these in the past. :)
They are incredibly good and made with minimal ingredients. The health benefits from the raw coconut oil  they contain are almost endless. Including Cholesterol level maintenance, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion & metabolism and relief from kidney issues, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer. You can read more about coconut oil's benefits here. As always be mindful of your portions because of the sugar, but at least it is maple syrup and not refined sugar!



Happy snacking and until next time.....to your health!
Courtney



No comments:

Post a Comment